Mandatory Healthcare courses
There are some Mandatory Healthcare courses required for work in the UK. Certain mandatory courses and qualifications are required, depending on the specific role and level of responsibility. Here are some key mandatory courses and qualifications commonly required in the UK healthcare industry:
Reference for: Mandatory E Learning courses as defined by NHS England
Reference for: Mandatory E Learning courses as defined by NHS Wales
- Basic Life Support (BLS) and First Aid: Basic Life Support (BLS) and First Aid training courses are essential for healthcare professionals to handle emergency situations effectively. These courses cover CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation), defibrillation, and first aid techniques.
- Safeguarding Training (Adults): Safeguarding training is necessary to ensure the protection and well-being of vulnerable individuals, such as children and adults at risk. It covers topics related to recognising signs of abuse, responding appropriately, and reporting concerns.
- Safeguarding Training (Children): Safeguarding training is necessary to ensure the protection and well-being of vulnerable individuals, such as children and adults at risk. It covers topics related to recognising signs of abuse, responding appropriately, and reporting concerns.
- Health and Safety: Health and safety training ensures that healthcare professionals are aware of their responsibilities in maintaining a safe working environment. It covers risk assessment, manual handling techniques, and the proper use of equipment.
- Information Governance and Data Protection: Information governance and data protection training is necessary to ensure compliance with regulations surrounding the handling and protection of sensitive patient data. It covers confidentiality, data security, and the principles of the Data Protection Act or the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
- Medication Management: Medication management training is vital for healthcare professionals involved in administering medications. It covers safe prescribing, drug calculations, medication storage, and the recognition of adverse drug reactions.
- Manual Handling: Manual handling training is essential for healthcare professionals who need to lift, move, or support patients or heavy objects safely. It provides techniques for minimising the risk of musculoskeletal injuries.
- Resuscitation: This Choking Prevention and Resuscitation course will teach the signs and symptoms of choking and how to resuscitate.
- Equality, Diversity and Human Rights: Based on the Equality Act 2010 it protects individuals from discrimination, unfair treatment, and promotes a fair and more equal society. Includes knowledge and understanding of the relevant legislation.
- Basic Infection Control: Basic infection control training provides healthcare professionals with knowledge on preventing the spread of infections within healthcare settings. It covers hand hygiene, standard precautions, and the appropriate use of personal protective equipment (PPE).
It is important to note that the specific mandatory courses and qualifications can vary based on the healthcare role, specialty, and employer requirements. It is advisable to check with the relevant regulatory bodies, such as the General Medical Council (GMC), Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC), or the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC), as well as individual employers or professional associations for the specific requirements in your desired healthcare profession.
In England Preventing Radicalisation – Basic Prevent Awareness: is a mandatory E learning course.
In Wales Violence and Aggression training and Fire Safety training are regarded as classroom courses.
Basic Life Support is required by all NHS regions.
It is worth noting that the courses are sometimes described differently. They are the same course and we have put them alongside to help identify them.
|Mandatory Course in England||Mandatory Course in Wales|
|Conflict Resolution – Level 1||Violence and Aggression – Theory of Personal Safety and De- escalation|
|Data Security Awareness – Level 1||Information Governance and IT Security|
|Equality and Diversity and Human Rights – Level 1||Equality, Diversity and Human Rights|
|Fire Safety – Level 1||In Wales Fire Safety training is regarded as a classroom course|
|Health, Safety and Welfare – Level 1||Health and Safety Awareness|
|Infection Prevention and Control – Level 1||Infection Prevention and Control|
|Moving and Handling – Level 1||Manual Handling Awareness|
|Preventing Radicalisation – Basic Prevent Awareness|
|Resuscitation – Level 1||Resuscitation|
|Safeguarding Children – Level 1||Safeguarding Children|
|Safeguarding Adults – Level 1||Safeguarding Adults|